Monday, December 6, 2010

DIY Pot Rack Tutorial

Pin It
I love this Houston weather that we're having.
We have been spending a lot of time out doors lately.
It would be perfect if it weren't for the MOSQUITOES.
Yes, it's December and we still have a mosquitoes problem.
We found this really cool walking trail about 2 miles
away from home and while exploring it with the kids, we
found a creek that has little Perch.
The boys had been having a blast catching fish.

But now it's time to clean and work on the house.
My kitchen is a small hallway kitchen with not nearly enough cabinet space for a family of six. I have been shopping for a pot rack for about 2 years not and had no luck. They are either way to expensive, to small or just boring looking. So, what am I to do?
Now everyone knows I am a sucker for the clearance isles and thrift stores. I bought some iron trellis at Jo Anne's when they put the spring and summer items out on clearance.
They were 75% off and I only payed about $3 each.
Now I'm not sure what these are, but I feel in love with them and thought that they would be perfect hanging in my kitchen. I found them a Hobby Lobby for $1.20 each. By the way, If you know what these are and what they are used for please let me know. I bought all that they had which was 6.
I almost drove all around town to look for more.

So this is what I'm going to use to make my pot rack.
Cable ties/ Zip ties
Two iron trellis
6 Hanger thingy-ma-jigs
Shower hooks
Chain cut to size

1.   First, I cut off the long pieces of the trellis that sticks into the ground. I did that before I took a picture. I was just to excited to get my project started.

2.     Then I layed them on top of each other facing opposite directions and attached them together.
I figured that the best way to attach all the pieces
together is to use black cable ties.
They are durable and easy to work with. 
I used 8 cable ties in this step.

3.    Next, I layed out my hangers on the sides to create the side panels. These panels will hang down. I played around with them until I got them where I wanted them and then attached them together with the cable ties.

4.     Next, I attached the side panels to the trellis.
I left the cable ties loose on this step.

5.      Then, we added the chain pieces to the 4 corners.
 I used 2 cable ties for each chain piece.


 6.        I had my kiddos hold the pot rack up by the chains so the side panels would hang down while I tightened the cable ties that I left loose in step 4. We did one side panel at a time.

7. I added some extra cable ties here and there just for extra support and then cut the cable ties all the way to the base.


This project took a total of 15 minutes to complete  and cost less then $15.

And now to hang it up.

I am using old shower curtain hooks to hang the pots up on until I find some that I fall in love with.
 Until then the shower curtain hooks will have to do.

Please pretend that you don't see my Lovely light fixture.
Not only is it overflowing with beauty but it also 
stopped working this weekend. Nice!



I Love how this project turned out.

Thank you for visiting Breakfast for Dinner!
Loraine


I linked up to:




















The DIY Show Off


center>toolsareforwomentoo


 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/




 



http://www.thethriftyhome.com


6 comments:

  1. I am having pot rack envy! I have a wee tiny rack that I've been dying to upgrade.

    What an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That turned out awesome! Great job!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, that is a great picture of your husband and boy's. They look like they are having a great time.

    Next, WOW to that pot rack! I have an old vintage crib that I plan on using the sides to make a pot rack out of. It is just something I haven't gotten around to. You have totally given me the motivation....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I have those hangers too from Hobby Lobby. I use mine for storing fabric but I like you use better. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're a genius! this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic. SOOO creative and ingenius of you. I love the ways our minds can start turning the wheels of thought...."I Can Make My Own..." and then repurpose objects to make a one of a kind beautiful object for our own nest... Looks simply fantastic and inspiring !! Thanks for sharing your great re-do.

    ReplyDelete